The ACA SUP Certification is designed to provide accreditation and to produce the best instructors that the stand up paddle boarding industry has to offer.
The Instructor Certification Workshop will give you the opportunity and tools you need to become the best certified instructor that you can to be, whether that is teaching basic lessons and offering rentals, running guided paddle trips, teaching SUP yoga or coaching on-water fitness classes and paddle stroke techniques.
The American Canoe Association (ACA) Certification is considered to be the paddlesports industry’s gold standard oF certificationS because of its standards, partners, curriculum, Legitimacy and history with over thirty years as a non-profit organization in the paddlesports industry.
ACA LEVEL 1 or 1 & 2 SUP WORKSHOP/CERTIFICATION>
- All ACA courses (Instructor Certification Workshops - ICWs) combine two course elements:
- An Instructor Development Workshop (IDW) - Developing and refining the Instructor Candidates current skills.
- An Instructor Certification Exam (ICE) - Instructor Candidates demonstrating proper skills, knowledge, and teaching ability.
- In the Level 1 & 2 course, Instructor Candidates are assessed at the appropriate level, this being a level 1 or level 2 ACA Instructor.
- This is an instructor certification course and not a skills course, therefore, please look at the instructor criteria for Level 1 or Level 2 and self evaluate your skills before registering, as payment and attendance does not guarantee certification.
- After certification is provided, ACA instructors may use ACA insurance instead of seeking an alternative.
- Prior to the course Instructor Candidates will need become an American Canoe Association (ACA) member (Available Here), as well as purchase a copy of the ACA Instructors Manual (Available Here).
- All instructors signed up must have their current age appropriate First Aid and CPR up to date.
- Instructor candidates should have prior SUP experience and knowledge coming into the workshop.
- In order to pass at the appropriate level, ACA Instructor Candidates must be able to demonstrate skills, knowledge, and teaching ability.
A TYPICAL LEVEL 1-2 COURSE SCHEDULE:
- Day 1 - Intros, Instructor Candidates teaching topics, IT teaches topics and strokes, IT teaches rescues
- Day 2 - Candidates teaching strokes to each other, Candidates teaching topics, IT teaching advanced skills, Candidates filmed/assessment
- Day 3 - IT teaching SUP Trips, Candidates SUP Trip topics, Candidates teaching advanced strokes, Video analysis, Exit interview
ACA LEVEL 3 SURF SUP CERTIFICATION>
- Two or three day course duration
- Covers ocean safety and the best practices on how to teach stand up paddle boarding to others in the surf zone with conditions of 1 to 2 foot waves.
- Must have prior ocean safety, education, instruction, or experience.
- Candidates must be able to teach and demonstrate in 1-2 foot ocean surfing waves and be able to comfortably and confidently perform rescues in these same conditions.
- Must be in good standing with an ACA SUP Level 2 instructor certification or higher.
- Click Here for the certification's full instructor criteria
A TYPICAL LEVEL 3 COURSE SCHEDULE:
- Day 1 - Introductions, Instructor Trainer (IT) teaching skills, Candidates skills performing & filmed
- Day 2 - Candidates video analysis, Candidates teaching topics, IT teaching advanced skills, Candidates skills performing & filmed
- Day 3 - Candidates video analysis, Candidates teaching topics, Candidates skills performing & filmed, Rescues, Final skills video analysis, Exit interviews
WPA LEVEL 1 SUP CERTIFICATION>
- The WPA Level 1 course is a one day course that covers basic SUP instruction and paddling skills.
- This course is rarely taught for a few reasons related to the valitity of this certification:
- The pass rate is extremely high as students with minimal paddling experience qualify for a certification.
- Standarized information provided by the WPA and offered during course is limited.
- The course duration is approximately 6 hours long.
- Participants must have their current age appropriate First Aid and CPR up to date.
- Proof of liability insurance.
- Must be of 18 years of age or older.
- February 11-12, 2018 - Level 3 Surf SUP - Nicaragua - CLOSED
- March 2-4, 2018 - Level 1 & 2 - Amelia Island, FL (Omni Resort) - OPEN
- March 9-10, 2018 - Level 1 & SYTC Course - St. Augustine, FL - OPEN
- May 18-19, 2018 - Level 1 & SYTC Course - Jacksonville, FL - OPEN
- More 2018 course dates TBA!
- January 2019 - Level 1 & SUP Yoga - St. John, USVI - OPEN
EMAIL or CALL (407) 383-8761 to sign up!
CLASS PRICES & OPTIONS:
- Level 1 - ACA Instructor Certification Workshop (2 or 3 days) - $375
- Levels 1 & 2 Combined ACA Instructor Certification Workshop (3 days) - $500
- Levels 2 ACA Instructor Certification Workshop (2 days) - $300
- Level 3 SUP Surf ACA Instructor Certification Workshop (3 days) - $350
*Price does not include the $40 ACA membership. A $200 non-refundable deposit (applied towards the total cost of course) is required to reserve your space and can not be transferred to another course.*
HOST YOUR OWN COURSE:
Have a location or would you like to host a course?
- No cost to the host for use of their waterfront & facility
- One complimentary participant slot in the course per host (certification based upon passing)
- Receive all proceeds from the participants renting boards for the course
- Receive assistance in handling registration and for marketing the scheduled course
- First opportunity to reserve open class spots for your employees and staff